Prediction of VO2max from a new field test based on portable indirect calorimetry.
AuthorsFlouris, Andreas D.
Metsios, Giorgos S.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe assessed the validity and reliability of the new 15m square shuttle run test (SST) for predicting laboratory treadmill test (TT) maximal oxygen uptake (VO(2 max)) compared to the 20 m multistage shuttle run test (MST) in 45 adult males. Thirty participants performed a TT and a SST once to develop a VO( 2max) prediction model. The remaining 15 participants performed the TT and MST once and the SST twice for cross-validation purposes. Throughout testing V O(2max) was determined via portable indirect calorimetry while blood lactate concentration was assessed at the fifth recovery minute. Comparisons of TT V O(2 max) (51.3+/-3.1 ml kg(-1)min(-1)) with SST measured (51.2+/-3.2 ml kg(-1)min(-1)) and predicted (50.9+/-3.3 ml kg(-1)min(-1)) V O(2 max) showed no differences while TT blood lactate was higher compared to SST (10.3+/-1.7 mmol vs. 9.7+/-1.7 mmol, respectively). In contrast, MST measured (53.4+/-3.5 ml kg(-1)min(-1)) and predicted (57.0+/-4.5 ml kg(-1)min(-1)) V O(2 max) and blood lactate (11.2+/-2.0 mmol) were significantly higher compared to TT. No test-retest differences were detected for SST measured and predicted V O(2 max) and blood lactate. It is concluded that the SST is a highly valid and reliable predictive test for V O(2 max).
CitationJournal of science and medicine in sport, 13(1): 70-3
JournalJournal of science and medicine in sport
- Criterion-related validity and test-retest reliability of the 20m square shuttle test.
- Authors: Metsios GS, Flouris AD, Koutedakis Y, Nevill A
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Enhancing the efficacy of the 20 m multistage shuttle run test.
- Authors: Flouris AD, Metsios GS, Koutedakis Y
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- The effect of performance feedback on cardiorespiratory fitness field tests.
- Authors: Metsios GS, Flouris AD, Koutedakis Y, Theodorakis Y
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- The prediction of maximal oxygen uptake from submaximal ratings of perceived exertion elicited during the multistage fitness test.
- Authors: Davies RC, Rowlands AV, Eston RG
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Exercise at given percentages of VO2max: heterogeneous metabolic responses between individuals.
- Authors: Scharhag-Rosenberger F, Meyer T, Gässler N, Faude O, Kindermann W
- Issue date: 2010 Jan